Thursday, November 17, 2011

Silk Market

This morning I had the unique experience that is the silk market. I actually don't find it to be the best market in Beijing by any means. It was an interesting experience though, and I feel like I learn a lot of functional chinese while I'm at places like that because I practice a lot. I have realized that I can really get into bargaining here, which is something I never really do at home. I think it's because I really dislike feeling like I am getting screwed over, which is something that happens a lot in China. Therefore I know that my price is good if the shopkeeper tends to get upset.

Rule of thumb: You normally take the original price and divide by 10 - and that should be the price you pay. If you pay 2-3 times the 10% it is okay, but the rest is a rip off. I did okay. Got a nice leather bag today.

My days are long and filled with around 7 hours of class (at least on Thursdays) and a bunch of activities. Today I had small group at my friends house and I stopped by the 5 Spot on the way home because I didn't really eat today. My friend Denise was having a little party at the 5 Spot which is this bar/restaurant above two of the main clubs in WDK. I ended up getting free pizza (score!) and supporting my friend, so boss! Now I just want to pass out ha. I have work tomorrow doing transcription for this Chinese company. Woooo.

Hope all is well with everyone.
xx,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment